Friday, July 23, 2010

This is dedicated to the ones I love

My friends far and wide. I have had this post floating around in my head and popping up every now and then but it feels like such a powerful message that I will not be able to convey. I don't know if everyone is like this but for ME music and memories are almost synonymous. They appear together a lot. Sometimes I'll hear a song and then be instantly reminded of a moment that occurred when that song played, a memory so vivid I can almost smell it. Then sometimes the memory will come first as I am reminiscing of someone I'll hear a song in my head that reminds me of them and I'll smile at the memory of that moment. I am flooded with memories right now. So here it goes...


The title of this blog post is a song by The Shirelles that reminds me of a friend that lived down the street growing up. We would play this on...are you ready...her parents record, as in LP, player. And we would dream about our future loves. Who I'm sure were one of the members of New Kids on the Block.


I have The Steve Miller Band in my CD player in the car right now. You know The Joker and so many more. This CD or any SMB reminds me of my friend Christa and that summer I practically lived with her after my parents split up. Steve Miller band and Chopin. Weird I know but we would listen to SMB while we got ready for the day at 2pm to do the things that 16 y/o do in the summer. Chopin was played at night when we went to sleep to help us wind down after a fun and possibly emotional day.


Led Zeppelin anything reminds me of my friend Aaron. We would ride around in high school and it would be a long ride because he never took the freeway anywhere, and we would listen to Led Zeppelin 99.9% of the time. He had some collector's edition or something and he would try and explain how he learned to play the drums to this band and they have a different beat and so his music will always sound different. Or something like that. And I would like to add that he never knew the title of the songs so if I am every around you and identify a Led Zeppelin song don't ask me the title because I won't know and I blame it on Aaron.


Oh my gosh Ryan F.- the funniest guy at my high school and all around nice guy. I am reminded of him when I hear Smashing Pumpkins Rat in a Cage. Just one of those things.


Tim McGraw's Live like you were dying reminds me of a friend from high school,  Andy, who has gone on to heaven. Why this song is significant is more that Tim McGraw and Andy are connected in my brain and this song feels like how Andy lived, even though his death was an accident he was full of life and loved,  and was loved by, those around him.


Also by Tim McGraw- his song Seventeen- reminds me of driving back from Panama City Beach my high school spring break with my friend Buffy. That spring break deserves its very own post but suffice it to say that I was feeling an emotional high after having been with my besties for a week in Florida doing things that we had talked about doing what felt like all high school. This song came on and I heard
"Seventeen only comes once in a lifetime. Don't it just fly by wild and free, Goin' any way the wind blew, baby. Seventeen, livin' on crazy dreams, Rock and roll and faded blue jeans,and standing on the edge of everything. Seventeen"
I remember thinking- hey I'm 17 right now- this must be a pretty awesome thing, I'd better soak it up.


Del Amitri (your asking, who?) Roll to me- "Look around your world pretty baby, Is it everything you hoped it'd be, The wrong guy, the wrong situation, The right time to roll to me.Roll to me" Anybody? Well this post reminds me of my friend Jess. Of all the songs that are potentially significant in our life long friendship (since 3rd grade whoop whoop!) this song will take.me.back. to her bedroom on Woody Hollow summer before our freshman year in high school. Listening to TAPES that we had made off the RADIO- gasp!


Dave Matthews Band- well the list would be too long since they have such a long play list and were liked by so many of my peeps but every time I hear Satellite I am taken back to my freshman year in high school, hanging out with seniors and thinking that things couldn't get better than they were at that moment. I was almost right.

Escape (The pina colada song ) reminds me of my college rommie and bff, Em, who thought that the line "Do you like pina coladas?" was in fact, "Do you like beans and potatoes?" I know I do. But who would write a song about that? Anyway I love her despite this fact and am glad for it actually because now I can be reminded of her anytime I turn on an easy listening station and hear this song.


So anything CCR or The Beatles, oh yeah, and Simon and Garfunkel- is going to remind me of my dad. He was and is, big into music and lucky enough for him his generation did it right when it comes to tunes. He had a lot of options but chose the best when influencing me with wonderful lyrics and melodies. Our father daughter dance at my wedding was to Simon and Garfunkel's Bridge over troubled water. A mix of what our relationship was and is and what I hope it to be. The last verse being my favorite.

Desperado by The Eagles reminds me of my dad too. But that's another story as well.

the Wicked soundtrack and specifically the song Popular reminds me of my friend Sarah. Because we sing it together and its awesome. Also if you know her you know that its likely that any song could get itself attached in your mind connected with her as she sings A LOT. But again this one just sticks out for her and me.

And last but not least songs that remind me of my sweet love- Our song is Broken Road by Rascal Flatts and I think of him every time I hear it.  Also Nothing on but the radio by Gary Allan. We danced to this song and many more the night he asked me to go steady. Hearing this song takes me right back to that moment. Very PG I assure you, but sweet also. 

I could go on but this post is already monstrous. If you've read it all you are either previously mentioned or curious if you were going to be mentioned. I mean if I were you I would be.  If you were not mentioned it does not mean in any way that I never think of you. Hardly. Just couldn't think of you + song at this moment.

No comments: